Local Bocal February 2023
Dear Double Reeders, first of all Happy New Year and I hope you are all looking forward to another year of Double Reed playing. If you were thinking that you had fallen off the Local Bocal mailing list, do not fear. You haven't but Local Bocal has been on leave for quite a while.
We had some very successful events last year culminating in a wonderful Carols on Ninth Avenue. It was very popular with many people staying to watch the whole performance on both nights. Everyone involved had a fantastic time.
- We usually have our rightly famous Quiznic round about now, but we have been short of a couple of committee members (Hannah is working in Sydney and Josh has been in Germany) and we are running into the Festival and Fringe so we have decided to defer until the end of the year. Watch this space!
- In the middle of the year we'll have a "big Blow". Be there!
- We shall also be having our St John's Concert of course. Suggestions for a theme always welcome.
- This year, in association with Adelaide Horn Jam, Arcadia Winds and possibly other colleagues, we are going to have some events in the week of September 11th-18th. More info to follow
- The indefatigable Jane Downer will be in Adelaide again soon to present a series of concerts which sound wonderful. Jane is a great supporter of ADRSSA and her articles on Baroque Oboe playing for Reeding Matter are fascinating. If you haven't experienced a concert in the Baroque Hall in North Adelaide, I strongly encourage you to see what a treasure it is and enjoy the music as well!
AUSTRAL HARMONY CONCERT PROGRAM
Wednesday 12th APRIL
2 - 3pm
St David’s Church, 484-494 Glynburn Rd, BURNSIDE
REALMS of FANTASY
Fantasias by Buxtehude, Bach, Telemann & other composers for baroque oboe, recorder & organ
performed by Austral Harmony
Thursday 13th APRIL
12 - 12.40pm
Baroque Hall, 104 Tynte St, NORTH ADELAIDE
GALANT et MAGNIFIQUE
Music of intimacy and elegance for baroque oboe and harpsichord from the great age and artistic environs
of Louis XIV featuring beautifully ornamented and subtly expressive music by d’Anglebert, Clérambault
and François Couperin performed by Austral Harmony
Friday 14th APRIL
1.10 - 2pm
Elder Hall, North Terrace, ADELAIDE
Solos and Trios by J S Bach forming a musical triptych for oboe, recorder, violin &
organ performed by Austral Harmony
- On your behalf ADRSSA has commissioned a work for Wind Quintet by local composer Anne Cawrse. It is to be titled Honeybee and after its premiere performance by Arcadia Winds it will be available for everyone to use, so here is another piece to add to your WQ repertoire. Open these links to learn about Anne and her oeuvre. We are thrilled that she has accepted the commission and are really looking forward to hearing and playing Honeybee which will be dedicated to ADRSSA
- We are sad to report that Ruth Redfern has died. Ruth was a strong supporter of ADRSSA and often attended our events with her Baroque oboe. Vale, Ruth, we'll miss you.
It may look as though we don't have many actual dates for your diary, but they will be firmed up very soon so keep on reading LOCAL BOCAL!
Best wishes from your ADRSSA Committee:
Caryl Lambourn (State Rep)
Josie Hawkes OAM