Local Bocal May 2022
Dear Double Reeders,
- It seems a long time since one of these newsletters has been sent out, but none of us has been standing still. Now winter is almost upon us so that means lots of time for practising, listening, going to concerts, preparing for concerts and making reeds.
- We have had a couple of events such as a performance practice session with Josh Oates and Matthew Kneale that some of you were fortunate enough to attend. Sadly we had to cancel our Big Blow but we hope you will participate in the St John’s Concert Reed Choir instead.
- The St John’s Concert this year will have the theme of Bohemian Music (Dvorak, Janacek, Reicha, Smetana, Martinu et al) on 7th August. And Bohemian Rhapsody of course! The rehearsals for this will be on 27th July 7-9, 1st August7-9 and 6th August 2-4 all at Marryatville. We need as many players as possible and there will be suitable parts available no matter what standard you are at. Put the dates in your diary and REGISTER with me (
- We are looking to update our mailing list. If you know of any students or teachers, please check that they are on our list and let us know if they would like to be added. It will ensure they receive the most up-to-date news of all things Double Reed.
Please consider joining the national society ADRS which will give you access to the Journal “Reeding Matter” produced right here in SA as well as national and international news and opportunities. Click “join us” in the above menu. As an incentive to join, the ADRS Committee has made 2022 membership free, so if you’ve been meaning to, sign up NOW. This will also entitle you to discounts on all ADRSSA activities throughout the year.
- The ADRS annual Conference and Competition will be on the weekend of the 17th and 18th September at PLC in Melbourne. More details in the links above and consider attending. It is always fun, informative, and an excellent experience.
- We would love to hear what you have been doing or are preparing for, Double Reed-wise. Drop us a line, especially if you wish to publicise events that will be interesting for the ADRSSA Community.
- Congratulation to Daniel Handsworth formerly of Adelaide who has just scored a trial position in the Stavanger Symphony Orchestra AND is a finalist in the very prestigious Fox-Gillett Double Reed Competition.
- Another date for your diary is Saturday 1st October when Austral Harmony will be presenting a workshop at the Little Music Room Littlehampton. Jane Downer, the Artistic Director has extended an invitation for ADRS participants. More details to follow.
Caryl Lambourn (State Rep), Josie Hawkes OAM, Hannah Kovilpillai, Josh Oates, Tim Rosen.