Australasian Double Reed Society Composition Competition
ADRS NSW Sydney Australia
Opening date – 9am Monday 19 January EST 2016
Closing date – 5pm Sunday 31 July EST 2016
Fee – $25
All enquiries to Tanya Campbell – ADRS NSW representative – firstname.lastname@example.org
All entries to Tanya Campbell, ADRS NSW representative, PO Box 124, Hurstville, NSW 1481
The Australian Double Reed Society (A0035497R)is a not for profit organisation which promotes and enhances the knowledge of double reed instruments. In honour of its 20th Anniversary, and to facilitate collaborations between composers and performers, the ADRS NSW branch will be holding a composition competition. We seek to encourage and develop new Australasian works which engage with idiomatic characteristics of solo double reed instruments, in particular works suitable for students studying for their Year 12 Music performance exam.
• Open to all Australian and New Zealand citizens, permanent residence or students of an Australian or New Zealand school or university. There is no age limit.
• The score must be unpublished. In addition, the work should not have been broadcast, or
awarded prizes in other competitions.
• To support the project an application fee of $25 is compulsory.
- Compositions must be no longer than five (5) minutes.
- Compositions must feature a solo double reed instrument (oboe, bassoon, english horn, contrabassoon) with or without piano accompaniment.
- The level of difficulty should be no higher than AMEB Grade 7.
- All submissions should include a completed application form and must be presented in the manor specified on the form. Composition Competition Application Form
- Competition Terms and Conditions can be found here – Composition Competition T&C
Download the links below for a guide to the AMEB technical requirements of 7th grade double reeds.
- Invitation to the ADRS 2016 Australasian Conference and Competition, a performance of their work at a special concert and one nights accommodation if required. Travel and other expenses are not included.
- $1000 cash.
- Second performance of their work at the Gala Concert of the ADRS 2016.
This project entails the following timeline:
- 31 July 2016: Deadline for receipt of scores.
- 15 August 2016: First round selection – finalist compositions.
- 22 August 2016: Deadline for final version of score and parts.
- 1 October 2016: Performance of the finalist works during ADRS 2016.
- 2 October 2016: Announcement and performance of the winning composition.
This is a budget neutral project, with expenses supported by the application fee in the call for scores. Although the organisers would prefer not to charge an application fee, it is necessary to the goals of the project.